Let your heart be a portal for the songs of the universe.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cold Embraces

Last night before surrendering to cozy comforters, down pillows, and dreamscapes I succumb to the appeal of nature's softer side--snow flurries carried on arctic currents. Her cold embrace of winter night beckons. I long for her assault on my senses. My armor are a woolen sherpa hat and down jacket. My weapon a flashlight. I raise my light saber skyward. The brilliant beam slices into the endless firmament. I proclaim victory as my gentle adversary surrenders her crystal minions. They descend the path of light and caress my face in submission then settle on the expanse of the slumbering realm.

At first light I cannot resist the call of the wild. Pray tell, what enchantment have last night’s amiable northern invaders spread across the tablelands of the Llano Estacado? Cooper senses my high spirits. His hurly-burly demeanor fuels my excitement. I don some well-worn cold weather gear and we’re out the door. We step into biting 21°F temperatures, penetrating northerly winds, and horizontal snow showers. "Whoa!"

Unwilling to let the harsh weather conditions deter his romp in the snow, my copper-colored canine marauder sets a blistering pace. Within minutes we scoot into the windswept prairie. While I try to keep wind-driven snow out of my eyes, Cooper streaks across the white down blanket of virgin snow--dog paradise. I make several attempts to capture his exuberance with my digital light catching device. The near-blizzard conditions foil every attempt. Nevertheless I lock horns with the bitter conditions and bleak environment. My struggle unleashes primal beasts within the civilized reaches of my heart and soul. I join Cooper in a carefree frolic across the snow covered prairie. Time becomes meaningless. An hour later I head home invigorated by my wrestling match with Mother Nature--"yippie-ki-yay!"

Denied image making opportunities on the open prairie inspire me to satisfy documentary and creative urges with photos of street and more intimate snow scenes near our humble abode. The tapestries White Owl Woman’s icy minions weave are magical.

© Ilija Lukić 2011



Homeward Bound
(Cooper)



Zen Of Snow



Coiffure Bouffant



Leaf Catcher



Cotton Candy



Gentle Crystal Minions



Frozen Caress



Winter Slumber



Gentle Adversary



Snow Cube



Oak Trinity



Icy Footsteps




1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this post and these photos ! Truly magic.

    ReplyDelete