Let your heart be a portal for the songs of the universe.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Comet Pan-STARRS


Comet Pan-STARRS beckons and I oblige with an evening sojourn onto the Llano Estacado. Grazing range cattle interspersed with foraging antelope give the tablelands north of our hamlet a serene pastoral ambience. Away from city lights I hope to catch a glimpse of the faint celestial traveler just above the western horizon. A thin crescent of Moonlight guides my search. Sunset-illuminated skies prove to be difficult light conditions for comet photography.

Thirty minutes after sunset the air temperature plummets into the thirties. Somewhere in the dark a cow bellows desperate calls to her calf. Nearby coyotes bark and yip. The barks suggest they object to my presence. I take one last measure of the primal scene and iconic sounds of the American West. It’s time to wrap up my photo quest. As I depart down the ranch access road, my headlights illuminate several pairs of coyote eyes before they vanish into the prairie night.

- © Ilija Lukić 2013 -


Comet Pan-STARRS
Broadview, New Mexico USA

No comments:

Post a Comment