Let your heart be a portal for the songs of the universe.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Hope Springs Eternal

We enter the prairie without grand purpose. I thirst for introspection, sharing innermost thoughts and feelings with God. While I amble along, Cooper my canine abettor on today’s endeavor cannot resist long bounding strides across the dried-out shortgrass prairie. I treasure his zest for life. A splash of yellow color in the dreary landscape jolts my solemn mood. I’m drawn to the joyous rays of life in the vast sea of withering flora. My mind admires the physical attributes. My heart sees moonlight from the heavens caressing the prairie straw; and, beautiful eyes of fair maidens beguiling lovelorn suitors. In a prairie on the verge of succumbing to a drought of biblical impacts, hope springs eternal.

Zinnia grandiflora, aka Rocky Mountain Zinnia, Plains Zinnia, and Prairie Zinnia thrives in the dry, rugged terrain of the Llano Estacado. The papery, yellow flowers cover the plant from summer until frost. This flowering herb has therapeutic properties well-known throughout Native American folk medicine lore. Healers apply infusions of the plant to treat kidney ailments, stomach aches, and heart burn. The liquid is also useful as an eye wash. Some tribes make a yellow dye out of the flowers and grind it into a paste to make red body paint.

© Ilija Lukić 2011




Moonrise In The Straw


Hope Springs Eternal


Moonlight Serenade


Eyes Of Fair Maidens



No comments:

Post a Comment